It may not be glamourous, but at greentomatoenergy we believe in applying the laws of physics to low energy building. In order to mitigate against the risks of low energy building (primarily performance, cost and fabric), our team of engineers will apply real science to your project. This will give you the confidence that the work you are doing will deliver lasting results.
We are an independent consultancy that will propose the most appropriate solutions, helping you to avoid the minefield of technology-specific salespeople.
Our energy surveys are carried out by engineers with experience and training in low energy refurbishments. The survey consists of both a site survey and an analysis of your energy profile.
Your greentomatoenergy Energy Survey is tailor made to suit your requirements and can provide advice on future developments such as loft conversions and extensions. (In fact this ideal time to implement low energy measures)
- the building fabric elements that make up the thermal envelope
- heat loss through ventilation
- the energy efficiency of your heating system
- your energy bill’s, in order to benchmark your property’s energy demand against various industry standards
- Your property’s suitability for renewable energy generation.
Recommendations are then made to reduce the heating demand and to increase the comfort of your property.
Our Low Energy Design service is available for both new builds and refurbishments. With greentomatoenergy’s advice most property’s can be designed up to PassivHaus if desired.
Low Energy Design is made up of three parts:
1) Design Brief
The design proposal is reviewed and improvements are suggested greentomatoenergy then models the property using the energy modelling software PHPP. A baseline model of the property, as existing or to building regulations is created; this is then amended to an agreed energy target. The model and its outputs are reviewed and discussed with the client and the architect and adjustments are made if necessary.
The design brief provides you with the following outputs:
- Building fabric build up recommendations, looking at the thermal envelope as a whole
- The estimated reduction in energy demand due to the proposed measures
- Options for different energy targets
- Confirmation that the project can meet certain benchmarks eg PassivHaus or EnerPHit
2) Detailed design
greentomatoenergy works to make sure the design is as energy efficient as possible, and continuously calculates the changes on PHPP. Other services at the detail design stage include;
- Minimisation of thermal bridges
- Fabric specifications on all floors, walls, roofs, windows and doors
- Increasing airtightness by eliminating ‘holes’ in the fabric with an airtightness layer
- Specification of heating and ventilation systems
- Advise on lighting and low energy appliances
- Renewable energy specification
If required greentomatoenergy can work with builders to make sure that the plans are correctly implemented. This can include;
- Airtightness testing at various stages in the construction
- Advise on creating the continuous airtight and thermal layer
- Installing and commissioning ventilation and renewable energy systems
greentomatoenergy can also monitor how the building performs in use after the development has been completed.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-45377757-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'greentomatoenergy.com']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);