greentomatoenergy designs low energy buildings, conducts energy surveys and installs solar panels. Our services also include: working for a clean energy future, about us, frequently asked questions, generate, save energy, build, Work with us, privacy, Solar case studies, contact us, your home, your business, your community, large scale developments, installers, values, environmental policy, environment, credentials, greentomatogroup, press, solar thermal, solar pv, wind energy, air source heat pumps, ground source heat pumps, consultancy, ventilation and heat recovery, insulation, windows, money matters, water, new build, what is passivhaus?, retrofit, techy stuff, is solar thermal for you?, money matters, why greentomatoenergy, techy stuff, is solar pv for you?, is an air source heat pump for you?, techy stuff, why greentomatoenergy?, money matters, money matters, why greentomatoenergy?, techy stuff, Is a ground source heat pump for you?, why greentomatoenergy?, techy stuff, is consultancy right for you?, why greentomatoenergy?, techy stuff, is mvhr right for you?, why greentomatoenergy?, techy stuff, is insulation right for you?, why greentomatoenergy?, techy stuff, is double-glazing for you?, why greentomatoenergy?, techy stuff, is water conservation for you?, feedback, solar pv questionnaire, solar thermal questionnaire, installers questionnaire, website terms & conditions, terms and conditions of sale, meet the team, Energy Company PV Registration Forms, consultancy case studies, greentomatocars brings free wifi to London, Win some LED lightbulbs
it's a low energy standard
PassivHaus is a voluntary building standard developed in Germany and now commonly used all over northern Europe. There are six main rules to building a PassivHaus. These rules ensure the building has very low energy and heating requirements, 90% lower than an average house.
- Super Insulation - ensuring excellent heat retention within the building
- Excellent draught proofing - the house has so few gaps and holes that almost no air can enter the building other than through the carefully controlled heat recovery ventilation system
- Passive solar gain - carefully placed windows mean the sun will warm the building naturally
- Ventilation with heat recovery - this allows you to capture all the heat usually lost from uncontrolled air leakage
- Low energy appliances - the most energy efficient appliances can dramatically help you reduce your energy consumption
- Renewable energy sources - using solar PV and thermal, wind or other renewable sources allows you to be even more energy independent
Visit our ecohome blog to find out more about one of our passivhaus retrofits.